As part of the Lions Reading Action Program, clubs and districts have an important opportunity to address inequalities related to literacy, particularly among individuals with vision loss. Through our partnership with Bookshare, the world’s largest online accessible library of copyrighted content for people with print disabilities, Lions can help individuals with print disabilities have the same ease of access to print materials as people without disabilities.
There are many ways for Lions to get involved with Bookshare as a district, as a club or as individuals:
- Reach out to individuals with print disabilities including veterans, seniors and students (and their parents) to raise awareness about Bookshare. Distribute flyers at places like schools, churches, senior centers, veteran centers, ophthalmologist offices, eye clinics and dyslexia centers.
- Sponsor Bookshare subscriptions for eligible individuals in underserved communities. Seniors, veterans, or students outside the U.S. may not be able to afford a Bookshare subscription.
- Please contact us with information about your desired sponsorship. Do you know a specific individual or group of individuals who would like to join Bookshare? We’ll need to know where they live (which country), confirmation that they have an email address and access to an Internet-enabled computer, and confirmation that they will be able to provide proof of disability. (Click here for a list of qualifying disabilities.)
- Contribute image descriptions to textbooks. Imagine trying to learn a subject and not being able to see the images accompanying the text. A description of the image helps convey the meaning.
- Please contact us. Be sure to include your club name and location (city, state, country).
- Scan and/or proofread books to be added to the Bookshare collection, including textbooks, fiction, non-fiction, and more (U.S. only). We especially need help proofreading textbooks for U.S. students with print disabilities.
- U.S. clubs only: Please contact us. Be sure to include your club name and location.